10.25.2015

Selfless Sunday: Week Four.

Remember a few days ago when we discussed Kisses from Katie, and how the story rocked my world and wrecked my heart?  Katie's story moved me so much that I began supporting the ministry she discusses in her book, Amazima.  I get monthly reminders in my inbox that this story that changed my life is still being written by a Divine hand, and now?  Now I get to be a small part of it.  

So on our fourth and final Selfless Sunday, I'd like to issue a simple challenge:


Give.

Look, you've already been giving.  You do it all the time without even thinking.  Now I'm asking you to give intentionally.

For those who are financially able, the challenge to give might look like sponsoring a child through Compassion International or Child Fund.  It might look like giving up the cost of a few coffees a month to join Mocha Club or fighting human trafficking through The A21 Campaign.  Of course, you can join me in supporting Amazima, or one of my personal favorite ways to give annually is creating a shoebox (or several) for Operation Christmas Child through Samaritan's Purse.  It might not look like giving to any particular program or organization.  Instead, giving may look like buying Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas gifts for a family in your church or community that you know is struggling.  There are so many options.

And for those who are not financially able, giving isn't always monetary.  If your wallet is empty, but your heart is full, you are still qualified to give.  Give of your time.  Volunteer at a food pantry or soup kitchen.  Volunteer to help clean the church (bonus: you'll get serious brownie points from the pastor for this one).  Be a listening ear for an overwhelmed new mother.  Be a silent companion for a suffering friend.  

Regardless of how you do it, be the heart of God and the hands of hope to someone this week.  And if you're really brave?  Be the heart of God and the hands of hope to someone beyond this week.  It will change your life.   
  
{Do you give in a way that I haven't listed?  Please share in the comments!}
************************************************************

Day Twenty Five.
You can find the rest of the series here.

No comments:

Post a Comment