7.04.2012

Comfort Zones.

What in the world did I get myself into?

Those were the words running through my mind as I stepped into the room and dug through my duffle bag for some clothes to quickly change into.  I had just met the people I'd be spending the next week with and my anxiety began kicking in.  I didn't know anyone except Shay, and I only truly knew her in spirit.  I was 2 1/2 hours away from home with a bunch of strangers, staying in a church whose name I couldn't pronounce.  And why?  So I could build or paint something and minister to people along the way.  I had never used a power tool in my life, and any ministering I typically did was with family.  How did I ever think I'd be qualified to fill this position, to take on this week and everything it asked of me?

But despite any fears I had in the beginning, that week spent with strangers was one of the best in my life.  Sometimes simply being the person that God wants us to be is a ministry tool in and of itself.  I had no idea what I was doing half of the time, but I resolved to follow whatever guidance God laid before me daily.  As a result, I came home from that week with a determination set within my spirit.  God had taken care of me during my week of total abandon and faith.  I mean, I used a reciprocating saw and didn't kill anyone or cause any property damage!

But perhaps one of the greatest blessings for me was the unplanned ability to serve food to the less fortunate at a Salvation Army.  It has always been a desire of my heart to serve in that capacity.  When the opportunity arose, the coordinator of our trip could have easily chosen to take someone else in that group.  I could have missed out on the opportunity to do something I'd always wanted to do.  But God, because He is faithful and loving, made a way for me to realize that particular desire of my heart.  It was an awesome moment when I comprehended that God works things out in ways that only He can.  He truly is in control, always working behind the scenes.

But you see, I would have missed out on everything God offered that week had I not been willing to step out of my comfort zone.  Fear is a horrible parasite that grips our hearts and robs us of so much.  As Jason Gray wrote, "There's no thief like fear."  And it's that fear that keeps us locked in our comfort zones, belted down to complacency like a toddler in a booster seat.  We aren't capable of much growth if we are constantly limiting ourselves.  And growth is what makes faith so interesting!  It's what drives us to continually pursue the heart of Christ.  Sometimes His heart is found in the strangest of places, but I guarantee that those places hold as much grace as the places that make sense.

Don't allow fear to override your faith.  God has made you capable of so much!  Don't limit yourself or the power of God in your life by hiding behind a wall of comfort.  What He has awaiting you outside your comfort zone is beyond words.  It will speak to your heart and soul in ways that only the Spirit can.  So I encourage you to take a step of faith.  If God has opened the door and is ushering you into the unknown, take His hand.  It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.  God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Comfort zones are very constricting. There's a reason its called "stepping out" on Faith! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there's that God thing again...Courtney, our first instinct was to say no to going to the Salvation Army......that wasn't our plan and we didn't have the time to take off the "worksite"......but something just said we needed to do it, the why didn't matter. Obedience. And even when we were still deciding, you were the "adult" going from the get go, the only reason I went was for legality reasons! Yet, I was blessed in multitudes......out of my comfort zone as well....we drove and parked the raaker mobile, served the needy, and broke out into song in the kitchen despite our lack of music abilities. (you're exept from that last one!). All the while, you all trusted me, even when I didn't trust myself.....but I trusted God. And He took care of each step throughout the week. Obedience and trust made serving His will, not ours, possible!

    ReplyDelete