10.04.2015

Selfless Sunday: Week One.

We're on a journey this month, looking into the depths of our lives for any trace of hidden hope.  But as I thought about the topic and prayed over His intention for my words, I worried that our gaze would be locked inward.  I worried that we would be so consumed with finding hope in our own lives that we would forget to offer hope to others around us.

I think it's funny and frightening how easy it is to get lost in ourselves when we truly intend to get lost in Christ, and so I desperately wanted to take an occasional breather from finding hope so that we could transition into being hope.  It might sound silly to you, but I'm a firm believer that when God does something good in our lives, we should share it.  

That's the heart behind Selfless Sunday.

To begin each week, we'll take a breather.  We'll inhale, and exhale, and we'll rest in His presence.  We'll thank Him for the traces of hope that we have found thus far and we'll ask Him how we can offer traces of hope to those in our lives.  Each Sunday, I'll present a Selfless Sunday challenge to be completed the following week.  If you don't feel comfortable completing the Selfless Sunday challenges, it's not a big deal.  It won't make or break this month for you.  But it would be wonderful if you would choose to participate.  (Can I bribe you with cookies?  Chocolate chip, perhaps?)

This week's Selfless Sunday challenge is:


Emails don't count, folks.  I'm talking about sending something handwritten.  It could be a simple note card telling someone that you're praying for them.  It could be a three page letter.  Whatever it is that you choose to send, send it with love and encouragement.   

I'm part of a lovely community of people who believe in the power of words, scribbled across paper and slipped into envelopes and sent across the nation or world.  I have just finished my second round of #FMFPartySnailMail and I treasure the words I received and the women who wrote them.  I know what an encouraging note can do for the soul and it is amazing.  One simple gesture can turn someone's whole day around. 

Your words can be so powerful, friends.  This week, use them to encourage someone in your life.  Use them to bring hope.


{Do you enjoy receiving old-fashioned snail mail, friends?  Have you ever been uplifted by a timely note or happy card?  Please share in the comments!}
************************************************************

Day Four.
You can find the rest of the series here.

4 comments:

  1. Dude, this is fantastic! I LOVE it. Maybe you should do this every Sunday, not just in October...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I would definitely need help brainstorming ideas if that were the case. But who knows? ;)

      Delete
  2. I love it! I totally agree in the impact this can make in both the recipient, and giver! I wanna join!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Just send some snail mail of love and encouragement this week! Be hope to someone else. :)

      Delete