10.18.2015

Selfless Sunday: Week Three.

I don't know if you can tell by now or not, but I'm a big fan of coffee shops.  It was easier when I lived in a bigger town and we actually had coffee shops, but the point remains that meeting a friend for coffee has always been and will probably always be something that makes me happy.

Or maybe I just like coffee.  I don't know.  Does it really matter?

Seriously, though, some of the most encouraging and wonderful moments in my life have happened while chatting with a friend over a cup of coffee or a plate of food.  And most often, the friend who invited me to coffee or lunch or dinner didn't even know how badly I needed it.  But God knew.  

It is because I know how valuable these moments can be that I am issuing this week's challenge:  

Do it.  Invite someone out for a cup of coffee or lunch or dinner.  Maybe they don't need a shoulder to cry on or an ear to listen.  Maybe they just need some space to breathe during a hectic school semester or maybe they just need to be reassured that they are remembered.  

A while ago, I contacted my pastor's wife and asked if I could take her out for coffee.  She responded with excitement and we quickly made plans.  When we finally did get that cup of coffee, I told her that I just wanted her to share her heart.  I wanted her to know that she had a safe place, that so many take and take and take and I felt like God wanted me to simply give my presence, my attention.  I didn't have answers for her problems.  I didn't have any super spiritual advice.  I just offered a place for her to simply be.  

Who in your life needs the opportunity to just be?  Who in your life needs the opportunity to spill their heart?  Who in your life needs the opportunity to be reassured that they are remembered?

It could be just coffee.  It could be just lunch or dinner or casual cookies shared over a spare fifteen minutes.  Or it could be a moment in time when God uses you to show His love to someone else.  

************************************************************
Day Eighteen.
You can find the rest of the series here.

No comments:

Post a Comment